I was inspired to write this post because I noticed how gorgeous everyone’s Filofaxes were and realized that some of my Filo friends was guilty of “beautifying” their planners – but not keeping up with it. We spend all this money on our planning system, why not make it work for you? That is the whole point of the planner to begin with right? It shouldn’t be a glorified diary. You can spend $5 on that if you went with a basic moleskine!
I posted a quick video on how I organize and color code my Filo. I was already using a color code system, but unfortunately – I wasn’t keeping up with it or I was mixing up the colors and simply too lazy to fix it.
So what did I do? I made a color coded legend on a simple manila tag:
- Dark Pink (slot marketing event): all of my slot tournaments, slot giveaways, slot drawings, slot promotions for work
- PastelPink (personal planning): dinner dates with friends, plans that aren’t related to an event, to-do personal things
- Pastel Orange (miscellaneous): self explanatory
- Pastel Yellow (work FYIs): important information work related, hotel occupancy, casino event occupancy, deadlines for work
- Pastel Green (bills): paydays, auto-pay on bill, when monthly crafting subscriptions clear
- Pastel Aqua (concerts): all of our MGM hosted concerts
- Pastel Blue (table games events): blackjack tournaments, poker tournaments, table-driven events
- Pastel Violet (scrapbook related stuff): scrapbook events, class schedules, release dates of items, Studio Calico sneak peeks
- Gray (happy mail and tracking #’s): order confirmation numbers, tracking numbers, dates of purchase of online mail
- Neon Pink (craft deadlines): deadlines and due dates for design team stuff, Project Life swaps, registration to events
- Neon Orange (personal events): this is different from personal plans – this is more for actual events, birthday parties, parties or concerts non-work related
- Neon Yellow (work meetings): leadershop meetings, host meetings, productivity meetings
- Neon Green (travel): confirmation numbers of flights, flight information, anything travel related
- Neon Violet (health): doctor appointments, contact lens renewals, make-up disposal, refills, beauty, nail and hair appointments, Cedes’ veterinarian visits
- Black (fights and marketing trips): boxing matches, UFC matches, corporate and business marketing trips and events
These are the steps I do to organize and keep my agenda on point. I always carry a pencil around or a frixion pen. I take a post-it note and jot down special dates or deadlines and stick it to the front of my “dashboard” or “inbox” – then I transfer it in my agenda once confirmed. What if its not confirmed? Its ok, you can still mark it on the washi and just removed if plans change.
When I plan a month in review, what do I put in that tiny 2/3 x 3/4 inch space!? These are usually reserved for CONFIRMED events. I don’t put daily appointments and meetings in there. What normally goes in the month in review are vacations, IMPORTANT events at work, visits from family members, birthdays, and anything else I feel is worthy of putting in a monthly view.
This is basically my entire planning system. I start off by transferring info over from my Dashboard or anything else that has “dates” or “deadlines”. I write those in pencil or erasable pen. I then use a permanent marker and washi to my Filofax once they are confirmed. The good thing about the color-coded washi system is: even though it is on washi, you can still remove it if plans change. This is a synopsis of the next 2 weeks ahead.
What belongs in the CRAFT section? Project Life layouts and templates, pre-orders from various scrapbooking stores online, Studio Calico subscriptions, crafting bucket lists, blog notes, anything scrapbook and crafting relating (minus the financing).
What belongs in the INFO section? Usually my work stuff. Important codes and extensions for my job, things to help make my day-today work easier, criterias for invited events, passwords for sign-ons, tournament details, my monthly goals and productivity numbers, cabana prices, hours of operations.
What belongs in the Finance section? This section includes my checking account balance, credit card balances, bill dues dates, automatic payments.
What’s in my To-Do section? Pretty self explanatory, pretty much lists of things that need to be done. I am thinking of putting sub-sections in here: to-do for the home, to-do for work, to-do for blog, to-do for family, etc. I am becoming infavorable with the filofax to-do’s because my handrwiting print just isn’t that large for it. And double lining it makes my list look messy!
What’s in my Shopping section? Shopping lists, things to buy for house, wishlists, birthday lists, party planning lists, Target lists, grocery lists.
What’s in my Notes section? Basic note taking from meetings, client conversations on the phone or via email, voicemails, flight look ups.
What’s in my Pockets section? Project life cards, smashbook journal cards, bills, business cards.
That’s pretty much it, sorry for such a long and detailed post. But I have been having numerous requests for my 2 page per weekly calendar, and I promise I will post it soon as a freebie. I just have to figure out how to save it as a pdf on my macbook.